Tuesday 27 May 2014

25/05/14

19-05-14
Mon-PM 11.2km - 1:08:25 (546m)
Started the week with an evening run up the Lions Back (fast becoming one of my favourite climbs). I could definitely feel that I was carry some fatigue in both my calves which I blame on the fact that last weeks mileage was more than double the previous weeks. I didn't allow myself a transition time to build back up. Live and learn, I suppose. Kept the pace pretty easy so as not to potentially blow my legs out, which seemed to work as I made my way up the Lions Back in a decent time, all things considered. On the way up, an intense cloudbank hit the Atlantic seaboard and, within minutes, had shrouded Signal Hill in a thick layer of mist. Watching it roll in so fast was almost surreal, as I sat on the Lions Back, mesmerised by what I was watching transpire. so much so that, for a minute, I completely forgot that I had to run back down into it to get home. Descending Lions Head, I ran straight in to some of the thickest mist/fog I''d ever seen. Visibility was cut down to roughly 2 or so metres in front of me. I decided that, for my safety, I'd take an easier route back home instead of running Pat's Track through the pea soup in which i found myself. Headed on the trail back towards Clifton/Bantry Bay and then dropped down on the lower contour path of Signal Hill. This spat me out onto a road in Upper Fresnaye which, although it was pavement pounding, was very well lit.

20-05-14
Tues-PM 11.3km - 1:20:39 (642m)
Set off on the top path through to the Signal Hill lookout area, using the Bonecrusher Blaze route, and could immediately tell that this run was not going to be the best I'd ever had. The cloudbank from the day before seemed to be hovering over the hill but, more so, was being bolstered by low-hanging cloud being blown in by the breeze off the ocean. The top track along Signal Hill is quite fun as it's, more or less, flat and has some super quick sections which are interrupted every so often with techy underfoot conditions, which means you can't just go to sleep and sprint through. The problem, however, was that the cloudbank was still hanging low enough to warrant slower stepping through the sections. My tired legs didn't mind this all that much. To top off everything, I was experiencing some mild stomach issues. Nothing too graphic but still made moving fast uncomfortable. Made my way up the Lions Back (in a similar time to the day before) and proceeded in getting blown over by the wind. I was pretty taken aback by how a few metres of elevation could have such different weather conditions. I had initially planned on summiting Lions Head but the wind factor was much stronger than I had anticipated so I slunk down the jeep track and made my way back to the lookout area and back home.

21-05-14
Wed-PM 10.2km - 1:02:38 (551m)
Set off on Pats Track up Signal Hill to try summit Lions Head, seeing as I missed out due to weather conditions the day before. The skies were clear which led me to believe that conditions would be more favourable with the added bonus of not having to run through the mist. About half way up the trail, my stomach started acting up again. I'm not sure whether it has to do with my diet being out of balance or if it's running related but these minor stomach issues I've been having are starting to get quite annoying. they've taken some of the fun out of running. It's hard to fully enjoy the experience when you're stuck wondering whether you can trust that it's just flatulence. Regardless, I pushed through up the Lions Back but, again, had to call it quits on going to the summit of Lions Head. I wasn't feeling my best and figured that maybe I needed to get home as quick as possible before I had a trail-side accident. I was both wrong and right. In my haste to get home, I miscalculated a step, in the dark, and found myself rolling through some bushes on the side of the trail. Thankfully that was the only accident that occurred. A few scrapes and a bruise or two.

22-05-14
Thurs-AM 5km - 23:05 (18m)
Woke up early to get a morning run in because the weather had been predicted to get worse in the afternoon. Settled on doing a road run as my calves were quite stiff. Only once I started running did I realise the extent of the fall from the night before. Some significant hip pain in my left hip forced me to cut the run at a measly 5kms. Still managed to get a decent pace going. I'll chalk this one down as a recovery run. Thursday night beers were just what the doctor ordered. Sampled some delightful craft beers down at Mitchell's Ale House and shared some great company. Lifted my spirits after the mornings endeavor.

23-05-14
Fri-PM 13.1km - 1:30:07 (1172m)
Went up the Bonecrusher Blaze route on Friday evening with the intention of summiting Lions Head, regardless of weather conditions or body issues, and managed to keep a consistent pace the whole way up. Didn't push too hard on any of the ascents as I was trying to keep myself in decent shape for the charity run we were doing the next day. Sat atop the Lion for some time before heading back home to some well-deserved pizza and rest. Made sure I didn't push the descents either. The last thing you want to be doing the day before is race is quad-bashing, unnecessarily, downhill. No matter how fun the trail may be.

24-05-14
Sat-AM 17.8km - 1:48:26 (790m)
The weather on Saturday morning was both beautiful and hideous. Those of us up early enough to run the St Lukes Childrens Hospice Charity Run were treated to a rare electrical storm in the early hours of the morning, which was quite spectacular, but were also subjected to some rain, wind and mist as we set off on a short but steep adventure on Devil's Peak. I'm pretty sure that some of the trail we ran along is the same sections used in the Two Oceans Trail Half Marathon, so it was nice to be able to experience after missing out on an entry to the Two Oceans this year. The climbs were fun, the single track quick, the views were magnificent and the weather was manageable.

(From L-R) Sheldon, Myself and Chris in our Fry's Superhero outfits.
Sheldon and myself backed off the early pace and just had fun with it. We may not have won the race but we won the hearts of all the spectators and other runners. Chris, in true Chris fashion, burned through the course to take 2nd place, missing out on the win by 6 seconds. Even though we only set out to have fun on the run, I definitely picked up a few key areas that I need to work on in the coming weeks. Important to note that my legs felt good during this run. Not much calf fatigue or knee strain. Taking that as a moral victory.

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong!
25-05-14
Sun-PM 13km - 1:26:38 (1087m)
Ended off the week with a trip up Lions Head. The pain that I didn't feel during the run from the day before was not going to let me off so lightly (the fact that I was running with a hangover can, and will, be completely ignored). The climbs were slow and frustrating and the flats felt sluggish and tired. Regardless, I wasn't going to let that stop me and pushed on up the summit. I have my eye set on doing my first ultra this year so time on legs and learning to push through the physical discomfort have become priorities for me.

Total Hours: 8:39:58
Total Mileage: 81.6km
Total Gain: 4800m

A solid week of running, all in all. I'm a little disappointed that I was unable to get that vertical gain ticking over into the 5000m territory but, as it stands, this week is the most elevation I've done this year. If I can, I want to keep this average weekly mileage for the next month before looking to step it up into the 100km per week mark. My legs have been carrying quite a substantial amount of fatigue which is something I'll be keeping an eye on. the last thing I need is to blow a leg at this point in my training.

I know that, earlier, I said that I wouldn't be entering another proper race this year but, as plans usually do, things have changed. I've got my sights set on entering the Ultra Trail Cape Town 62km race at the end of October (initially I wanted to go after the 100K as my first ultra but there are qualifying criteria that I don't meet..) so that leaves me 4 months to work on building a solid base for my endurance, speed and strength. What this means is that, apart from spending some time in the gym to work on general strength and fitness, I'll have plenty of time to work on my mental game. I understand that by the 40th kilometre my body will be sore and it will be tired and it will be begging me to just stop which is why training my mind to focus is such a key element.

No comments:

Post a Comment